Monday, December 29, 2008

Ripping copy-crippled DVDs

Since my kids like to manhandle DVDs and they usually end up scratched, I decided to keep the originals in a safe place and burn copies which can live near the TV. When one doesn't play anymore, I can just re-rip the DVD or better yet, use the ISO image to burn a fresh copy.

So the first rip/burn went perfectly with the Windows freeware DVD-Shrink. I used it to rip to an ISO file, then I used another freeware program "InfraExpress" to burn the DVD. Problem solved, right?

Wrong. Some newer DVDs employ a copy protection mechanism that tricks DVD-Shrink into thinking the disc is corrupt. To get around this, I found the free-trial-ware program AnyDVD, made by Slysoft. I'm not sure how it works but using that program I was able to rip the DVD to a format that DVD-Shrink could use to then create the ISO. I did have to reboot after installing AnyDVD software and again after I unchecked the "run at start up" option to turn it back off.

The end result is that I have personal-use backups of my legitimately purchased DVDs. Now I just have to make sure the kids don't get to the originals!

No comments: