Thursday, April 23, 2009

<rant>iTunes and Windows x64; WTF?</rant>

I was looking for a song that I heard while listening to Pandora on Lala, Amazon.com, Yahoo music and couldn't find it. Pandora implied that it was available for purchase on iTunes so I decided to install iTunes and see.

The first question from website, are you running Windows 64 bit operating system? Why yes, as a matter of fact, I am. Windows XP x64. So I download the 64 bit version as instructed. On installation, I get a popup error saying "Oops, you can't use this version of iTunes because you're not running Windows Vista x64". +10 aggravation points Apple!

So I download the 32 bit version. And guess what happens now... iTunes installer tells me "Oops, you shouldn't be using this version since you have a 64 bit operating system; we recommend you download and use the 64 bit version of iTunes". +10 aggravation points again!

So I ignore the warning and continue with the 32 bit version. Once it's installed I search for the track I'm interested in and ... you guessed it, it's not even on iTunes. +10 aggravation points for pandora.com.

It's all making sense now why people go postal. I wonder how many people I've taken to the edge with software I've written. If you are one of those people, please forgive me and don't do a home invasion or drive-by on me!

No comments: