Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kontact + LDAP lookup + Lotus Notes

In bucking the company policy to use Lotus Notes, I find myself in a precarious situation where I run into problems and there's nobody I can ask for help. In this particular instance, even the combined knowledge of the internet failed me, mostly due to the terrible state of documentation for the Kontact project.

Herein, I provide the technique I used to get the Compose Message window to prepopulate to/cc/bcc fields with data from a Notes LDAP server.

First, be sure you know your authentication information for Notes LDAP. I'm using a concatenation of CN and O, but you may be able to get away with just using login and password.

From Kontact, select Contacts.
In the Address Books panel, select + (to add a new address book)
Name the Resource Configuration something like "Notes LDAP"
For Bind DN, use your DN. Mine is "CN=Richard C Schreiber, o=RSA
For Password, use your notes password
For Host, use the hostname or IP address for the Notes server
For Sub-Tree query, check it.
For Read-Only, check it.

You should see the list of contacts populate from the Notes server. If you don't, an alternate login token.

Make sure the newly created address book is checked.

Next, compose a new message and type a few letters into the address field and you should see the names populate from your LDAP server.

I played with this for days before it magically started working. There may be a Notes authentication problem where it appears that your configuration is not working correctly, but really that Notes is just ignoring your requests.

No comments: