Wednesday, March 17, 2010

High CPU usage by xorg and plasma in KDE 4.3.2

After weeks of playing with desktop settings and suffering from one pegged CPU in my quad-core work computers, I've figured out the problem and resolved it.

It turns out this is a known bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204070

The solution is to not uncheck any of the items that appear in your System Tray. The System Tray is the panel area that holds icons for applications that don't show in your Task Manager. Mine holds a Pidgin icon, an Amarok icon, a KOrganizer icon, a managed network icon and a volume control icon.

I simply right clicked, selected System Tray Settings, and under Icons I checked all (four) checkboxes. Pressed OK and my CPU usage immediately dropped to < 5% for xorg and plasma-desktop.

No comments: