Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sound woes, solved by a USB sound card.

I built a computer several years ago, and until recently it was chugging along just fine. It was a little slow, and a little short on RAM, but it suited my needs just fine.

After taking a Windows 7 update, I noticed that my sound was no longer working correctly. Rather than emitting a normal sound, it would just emit static until the end of the sound when it sounded vaguely like it should.

Assuming a sound driver problem, I scoured the internet for a driver for the onboard CM-1801 chip for Windows 7 and came up empty handed. Apparently, the company that makes these audio chips are know for providing very little support. This chip was from the Windows XP and Vista era, but it was never officially supported on Windows 7.

I next queried some of my friends to see if anyone had an old sound card for which I could find Windows 7 drivers. I got a few cards in response, one of them didn't work, and the other had no Windows 7 support (Creative Labs Sound Blaster 5.1)

Then someone told me to just get a USB sound card. A what? I never heard of such a thing. A quick search on NewEgg.com led me to the solution. USB dongles that look much like a memory stick, but that have 1/8" jacks on the opposite end to connect headphones and microphones!

$13 and a week later, it showed up. I plugged it in, Windows 7 installed the driver, and my glorious sound was back! Now, if you are a Dolby Pro 5.1 or higher power audio user, you may be out of luck, but simple stereo is all I need from my computer.

No comments: