Monday, March 19, 2012

Kubuntu 11.10 KMail, Personal Information Manager issues

After *finally* upgrading to Kubuntu 11.10 recently, I had problems with the mail application "Personal Information Manager" aka, KMail startup.

I tracked down my problems to a failed migration, but there was no detailed log information available. I tried several times to cleanup the failed migration then migrate again with no luck.

Finally, I decided to skip the migration and the app would appear to startup then crash.

I figured this had something to do with the Akonadi changes that were the big feature of this release, so I played around with akonadiconsole and akonadictl. The console app tells what data sinks are present and I had many duplicates there that I cleaned up. I used akonadictl to control the tool with the stop and start parameters.

After restarting it, I observed some mysql errors during table creation. Thankfully, those message were very verbose and I was able to track the problem down to the fact that my MySQL installation has a password for the 'root' user.

I removed that password and restarted Akonadi again and things were looking up. After a bunch of configuration, things are getting back to normal with my kmail.

Next step - Importing my old mail files.

No comments: