Monday, June 16, 2014

Right Coupon is the Wrong Malware unless you get the the right cleaner.

I noticed one day a LOT of ads were appearing in my Google search results page, along with the fine-print "Ads not provided by this site".  Wondering who was supplying them, I started doing some research which yielded even more ads including coupon slide-out widgets.  Oh crap, I have some adware/malware...

Being a fan of Nick Francesco's computer show, I immediately went to Security Tango at http://securitytango.com/ as I've heard that it is the definitive solution to removing viruses, malware and adware.  The steps boil down to rebooting in safe mode and running a bunch of programs.  Then rebooting and doing it one more time to be certain.

I diligently when through the first time, performing each step as instructed.  When the programs found some infections and cleaned them, I was relieved.  I decided I didn't need to run through a second time.  I rebooted back to normal mode and ran my tests.  Bad news, RightCoupon was still presenting ads on my pages.

So, I guess I do have to do the second pass.  I reboot to safe mode, perform all the steps in the first pass, reboot to safe mode, perform all the steps again.  Whew.  Finally done (6 hours later)

I reboot to normal mode and ran tests again.  Bad news, RightCoupon was STILL adding ads to me pages!

I did some painful googling (try to find the results when you're getting served dozens of third party ads), and found a page suggesting using the free AdwCleaner to remove RightCoupon.

I installed and ran it, and it like, the Security Tango found a list of infections and cleaned them up.  No safe mode, no 5 step program, no two passes to be sure.  Just run it, then reboot.

I ran my tests again, and Ahhhhhhh.  They're all gone now.   Thumbs up to AdwCleaner.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/


No comments: