Friday, October 7, 2011

No sound from applications such as Amarok or KSCD using Kubuntu

After long hours of searching for a solution to my lack of sound in KDE's premier music player "Amarok", I discovered the solution to my problem in the KDE forums.

I have two sound outputs, Internal Audio Stereo and Digital RV570. I had somehow configured KDE to send Amarok output to the RV570, which I had no speakers connected to.

I used the tool "pavucontrol" that has a GUI to configure what applications send output to what outputs. The kicker is that the sound-generating application has to be running and generating audio in order to configure its output.

So, launch Amarok and play some music. Next, launch pavucontrol. You should see the Amarok application in the Playback tab. Configure the output by clicking on the button showing the current output.

No comments: