Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I love KDE's new addition: Activities

As a developer I find myself desiring a way to segment the many applications I end up running which clutter both my task bar and my screen. I've tried using virtual desktops, where you have N screens on which you can place applications, with only one showing at any point in time. I've always found the management of the application on the screens and the switching to screens less than seamless.

Perhaps it's because I'm a gmail fan that I like what the developers of KDE have implemented in Activities. Activities are tags on a window, like Googles tags on an email message. You define your activities and associate your applications with a tag. When you switch to a new activity, only the applications with that tag are shown. Smartly, only the applications appropriate for the current activity are shown in the task bar also, further reducing clutter. Additionally, only desktop widgets for the proper activity are displayed

For example, I have a Development activity that includes Eclipse, DB-Visualizer, Chrome, and a terminal window. I also have a Overhead activity that includes LibreOffice, Kontact and Chrome. When I activite my Development activity, I only see Eclipse, DB-Vis and Chrome. When I activate my Overhead activity, I only see Kontact, Office and Chrome.

I found it best to use with the addition of a panel that lists my activities. So I just click on Development to see my development toolset. Email notification? Click on the Overhead activity and development windows disappear and I see my email. After processing the email, I just click back to Development and pick up where I left off.

Here's how it looks, and know in your heart that I'm running Eclipse, DB Vis, Kontact, Kopete, Chrome, Firefox, KRDC, Amarok and Terminal. This is my "clean" activity.



So my activities are "Escalation" (things related to dealing with customer problems, "Development" (things related to developing new features or fixing bugs), "Overhead" (things like email, time tracking) and "Desktop" (a clean area for clearing my mind).

KDE also provides some template activities like Photos, Newspaper, Search and Launch.

No comments: